International Trade & Global Markets
- SBDC's International Trade & Assistance Center provides free counseling for new-to-export businesses, as well as those businesses expanding into new international areas. Expertise includes: export readiness assessment, market research, international marketing, plans, export compliance, education and export financing assistance.
- The International Entrepreneur - Ohio chapter, headquartered in Cleveland, provides mentoring services for all of Ohio's small businesses. TIE is a nonprofit organization promoting international entrepreneurship through mentoring, networking and education.
Online Sources of Information on Foreign Markets
- The U.S. Trade Compliance Center is a one-stop shop for getting U.S. government assistance in resolving the trade barriers or unfair situations small businesses encounter in foreign markets. Common trade problems can be reported.
(Country Snapshots) The World Banks Business Environment Snapshots is a guide to business environment indicators, laws and local resources for 183 countries.
- (Country Snapshots) The CIA World Factbook provides general, economic, communication and infrastructure information for every U.S. recognized nation in the world.
- (Country Snapshots) The World Bank Group's Doing Business project looks at objective measures of business regulations and their enforcement across 181 international economies and selected cities & regions.
- (Country Snapshots) The U.S. Commercial Services Market Research Library's online collection includes country commercial guides, best market reports and market research published by the U.S. government. Free registration required.
- (Country Snapshots) The U.S. Department of Commerce website contains full-text documents containing in-depth coverage of trade conditions in selected foreign countries.
(Statistics) The U.S. International Trade Commission's Interactive Tariff & Trade Database is the federal source of international trade data. The agency also publishes trade data reports, graphs and industry/economic analysis.
- (Statistics) The U.S. non-profit organization Population Reference Bureau's DataFinder provides access to hundreds of domestic and international demographic data points. PRB analyzes and presents the data in a comparable format.
- (Language Skills) CML's premium resource Mango Languages is an online self-directed language instruction course covering everyday conversation skills for: Brazilian Portuguese, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Russian, and Spanish.
Int'l Trade Assistance Programs - programs supporting small business international trade
- The Ohio Export Finance Initiative (OEFI) assists Ohio companies with export financing. The OEFI maintains relationships with multiple organizations and will assist businesses with alternative export financing.
- Ohio Department of Development Global Markets Division (GMD) promotes the export of Ohio products. GMD offers many services designed to assist business engage in international trade.
- The Ohio International Trade Assistance Center serves as the first point of contact for U.S. businesses wanting to export, as well as those expanding into new areas. Services include individual assessment marketing plans, marketing research, export compliance education and access to export financing.
- The U.S. Dept. of Commerce's Commercial Service Columbus office provides multiple export assistance programs and services. (Click here to view PDF document detailing programs available).
- The Ohio Department of Agriculture Division of Markets stated mission is to provide Ohio agribusiness with guidance, information and encouragement to enter new international markets and expand sales. The Division of Markets offers agribusinesses assistance with marketing.
- The Institute for Japanese Studies, Ohio State University, provides Japanese business information, on-campus academic program development and off-campus outreach.
- The U.S. Commercial Service, Great Lakes offers assistance to help U.S. businesses export goods and services to markets worldwide. The Columbus office offers assistance with exporting to over 78 countries.
- The U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. Commercial Service offers assistance for companies entering & currently engaged international trade. Assistance includes one-on-one counseling, market research and due diligence.
- New Resource:: Columbus World Affairs offers several forums for business leaders interested in global topics including "After Work" - informal afternoon/early evening community presentations led by visiting and local speakers on a variety of globally-relevant topics. See website for more details.
- (Article) Entrepreneurs.com "Compliance to New International Trade Rules: Are you Ready?" published April 2009.
- (Directory) Thomas Global is a directory of over 700,0000 companies from 28 countries. Its mission is to bring together buyers & sellers.
|CML Library Card required to access resource.|
|$||Information/services referenced are provided at cost.|
|Resource targets a special population (i.e.: woman, minority and/or veteran).|